Faculty Recruiting Support CICS


The College of Information and Computer Sciences only allows students who have met the stated prerequisite(s) and who meet the eligibility requirements to enroll in our courses, subject to available seats.

An override request is essentially a petition for special permission to enroll.  Not all requests result in enrollment, which depends on the course and whether there are available seats.

SPIRE Enrollment

Enrollment numbers on SPIRE do not always reflect the true picture while we are managing override requests. DO NOT ASSUME THAT THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM IN A COURSE. Register as early as possible.

GOAL:  Eligible students enroll themselves, either directly into the course or add to the SPIRE Waitlist.  If the course is FULL, then keep trying to enroll (Do NOT request overrides).  Students not meeting prerequisites and/or eligibility cannot enroll on SPIRE, even if the course is open.  BEFORE requesting an override, try to enroll on SPIRE.

Your registration is successful if you are enrolled in the course or added to the SPIRE Waitlist, so keep trying if you meet prereqs/eligibility restrictions.  Students who are not be allowed to enroll on SPIRE are the students who may request an override.


Priority for seats in courses: CS Majors, BDIC-Informatics, Applicants On Contract (AOC), CS Minors, IT Minors, Others. 

Override Requests (not on SPIRE)

The CS Main Office (working closely with the Undergraduate Program Committee/instructors) handles override request lists manually in the fairest way possible, and enrollment decisions vary depending on the course. Some decisions will happen quickly while others may take several weeks.  Certain decisions are made in groups, depending on priority and may not be made until closer to class start.

  • One request per course (duplicate requests are not considered/deleted).
  • Decisions are emailed to students using @umass addresses. We know your schedule is important.
  • CS Major requests will be reviewed, but decisions may be delayed, depending on the course.  In general, CS Majors should not be requesting overrides, unless for a legitimate reason specified in the Chart below (See FAQ).
  • CS Applicant requests (AOC) will be reviewed after grades are posted for the current semester.
  • CS Minors (On List) requests will most likely be reviewed after grades are posted for the current semester, but decisions may be delayed until closer to class start. 
  • BDIC-Informatics requests are checked against course lists provided by the Informatics Program and will be reviewed after grades are posted for the current semester.
  • Non-Major requests (not listed above) may be delayed until major/applicant/minor requests are processed. Decisions may be delayed until just prior to class start (maybe during Add/Drop).
  • Non-major/IT Minor students may request overrides for non-major/IT CS courses without having to worry about priority issues. CS Major/Minor students are not allowed to enroll in non-major/IT CS courses.
  • Five College requests will be dealt with as quickly as possible, but could be delayed until class start, depending on the course (see FAQ).
  • CPE requests will most likely be reviewed closer to class start, but this could depend on the course (see FAQ).
  • Graduate Student requests.

How to Register for COMPSCI, INFO, CICS courses?

CHART: How to Register-Undergraduates

Override Form - Spring 2020 
Override form for Spring 2020 will open ~ Nov 18.

Conflicts, Maximum Credits, Registration Holds

We do our best to give seats in courses given classroom size limitations. CS Majors should use SPIRE to enroll or SPIRE Waitlists if available.  For others, if your override request results in a seat and we can't enroll you because of conflicts or credit overloads, etc., we will contact you to adjust your schedule. Please reply immediately to let us know that you are working on the problem.  We cannot save seats, so no response will result in no seat.



FAQ:  I'm a Five College student and I have special paperwork. Do I use the online form? Yes. We try to give Five College students priority, but if we don't know about you, we can't arrange for a seat. All students should request overrides via the online form so we know of interest when making enrollment decisions. We can't enroll Five College students, but we can arrange permission with both Registrar's Offices via email.

FAQ:  I'm a Continuing Education student and I have special paperwork. Do I use the online form? Yes. CPE students should request overrides via the online form so we know of interest when making enrollment decisions. We can't enroll CPE students, but we try to communicate interest with instructors and the CPE Registrar's Office when seats are available.

FAQ:  I don't meet CS prerequisite but I have a transfer course that I think meets prerequisite. Do I use the online form? Yes. You also need to complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) process to have the CS prerequisite course vetted.  It is important to attend to this as early as possible so as not to miss out on a seat as courses fill.

FAQ: I'm not a CS Major and I don't meet CS prerequisite but I have a UMass course that I think should be considered as an alternate prerequisite.  Do I use the online form?  Yes, but only for the following alternate prerequisites:  ECE 122 in place of COMPSCI 186, ECE 214/314 in place of COMPSCI 240, ECE 241/242 in place of COMPSCI 187, ECE 322/373 in place of COMPSCI 230, MATH 455 in place of COMPSCI 250.  MIE 124 is not an alternate prerequisite for COMPSCI 121.

FAQ:  I'm a CS Major and the course I want is FULL.  I'm told not to submit an override.  Why not?  CS Majors can enroll in most CS courses on SPIRE and/or add themselves to a SPIRE Waitlist, if available.  In most cases, students who can enroll themselves who are still trying to enroll are equally qualified for any seats that open so we will not keep override request lists outside of SPIRE.

FAQ:  What is the program policy on undergraduates taking graduate level courses? Does it depend on previous coursework, or is it up to the professor teaching the class?
Graduate level (600+) courses are allowed to undergraduates who are performing exemplary in every course they have taken. Students must have a 4.0 or near 4.0 GPA, must be in good standing with the university, all 200-level CS courses completed, and at least 1 or 2 CS300+ courses completed.  UPD approval is required and all decisions are final.