CS Overrides - Grads

Overrides for Graduate Students

The College of Information and Computer Sciences only allows students who have met the stated prerequisite(s) and who meet the eligibility requirements to be considered for enrollment, subject to available seats.

Specific Information for Graduate Students

  1. Priority is given to CS Grads for COMPSCI Grad courses.
  2. Priority is given to CS Undergrads for COMPSCI Undergraduate courses.
  3. Non-CS Grads and Undergrads request overrides and will not be considered until after CS Grads enroll.  Decisions on other student requests subject to available seats.
  4. 500-level COMPSCI courses generally have two sections; Lect 01 for Undergraduates (with set prerequisites), and Lect 02 for Graduates (with set eligibility restrictions).
  5. If you are a TA, remember to login as a student or you will have trouble enrolling.
  6. 701 Master's Project and 899 PhD Dissertation are requested via the override form (See Graduate Program Manager if you have questions).
  7. Independent Study requires paper form (CS Main Office).

Override Request

Students who cannot enroll themselves in COMPSCI courses (for various reasons) will need to file an Override Request through the on-line form.  You will eventually receive confirmation email for each request (unless you submit duplicate requests for the same course).

The Override Form for Fall 2018 will open ~April 11.

Override Form - Fall 2018

FAQ:  I can't register on SPIRE, but I am a Grad Student. Do I request overrides in the same way? Yes. Graduate students should request overrides via the online form so we know of interest when making enrollment decisions.

FAQ:  I've submitted an override request for a Grad course.  Should I just wait for my override to be processed to be enrolled in the course?  Keep an eye on SPIRE.  If the course is FULL and a student drops, then you should try to enroll yourself if you see an open seat on SPIRE.  As long as the course opens again, you should try to enroll yourself if you are eligible.  If the course is set to require CONSENT, then you will not be able to enroll and you must wait for a decision.  We handle override requests in a variety of ways and this may differ from semester to semester.  You will be contacted via email about any decisions about your override requests, unless otherwise noted.

FAQ:  I'm an ECE Grad Student.  I was told that I will only hear about my request if there is an available seat?  Why is that?  How will I know my request was not lost?  CS Grads will always be given priority and the CS Graduate Program enrollment is growing rapidly every semester.  We are less likely to have seats for other graduate students.  You will still receive a confirmation email to know that we received your request.  We have been processing override requests for many semesters and have no record of lost requests, however, we do delete duplicate requests.

FAQ:  I'm a Data Science Certificate Graduate Student with an application on file.  What do I do to register?  Request overrides for the courses you wish to be considered for noting your preference.  Be sure to indicate on each request that you are a "DS Cert Student on file".

FAQ:  I'm an Information Security Certificate Graduate Student.  What do I do to register?  Register for courses through Continuing and Professional Education (CPE):  umassulearn.net

FAQ:  I'm a Graduate Exchange Student.  How do I register?  Request overrides for the courses you wish to be considered for noting your preference.  Be sure to indicate on each request that you are an exchange student.