Faculty Recruiting Support CICS

Graduate Program Forms

Independent Study

Students interested in an independent study need to discuss their proposed independent study with a faculty member prior to engaging in an independent study. Once approved by a faculty member, the student must complete the Graduate Independent Study Form (instructions are attached to the form). The form must be typed, not handwritten.

Spring 2020 Independent Study Form

Waiver of Core Requirements

Students who have taken courses that are nearly identical to those used to satisfy core requirements may request waivers of those core requirements using this form. Download and complete the pdf form below. Complete a form for each waiver request. Also, if you are making multiple requests at the same time, the form must reflect the other requests. Once all sections of this form have been completed by the student, then present it to a faculty member who typically teaches the course corresponding to the core(s)you wish to have waived.

Waiver of Core Requirements Form

Synthesis proposal (MS/PhD or PhD-only)

A synthesis project is proposed using an on-line form. (You need a Computer Science username and password to access the form.)

PhD-only students do not need to do a Masters project, so should select "no" regarding combining the two.

If you are an MS/PhD student who is combining your synthesis and Masters projects (most MS/PhD students do), you must indicate that at the bottom of the on-line form. In that case you do not need to submit a Masters proposal also. If you choose not to combine the two, you must also fill out the Masters project proposal form.

Masters project (MS-only or MS/PhD)

For a stand-alone MS project, please submit the online override form.

If you are an MS/PhD student, you may combine your synthesis and Masters projects. In that case, you should just fill out the synthesis proposal on-line form.

Portfolio report (MS/PhD or PhD-only)

If you are submitting your portfolio, you may find this skeleton helpful. [Word template]

Change in Program Request form (Ms/Phd to Phd)

This form is for students who completed a MS degree elsewhere and have completed at least 1 semester of courses at UMass.

.doc Template

.pdf Template

Travel Grant Application

Funds may be awarded to students only if they are presenting work done at UMass at a conference or meeting. Those simply attending are not eligible to receive travel grant funds. The amount of funding varies from year to year and there is no guarantee of funding. The Graduate Program Director determines the amount of each travel grant.

Decisions are sent to the student, the Grant Administrator for the student's faculty advisor and the CICS Accountant via email with instructions on how to receive the award.  Requests will not be processed without confirmation from the student's research advisor that they are aware and otherwise unable to support the travel.  It is normally expected that grant funded research has travel paid from the grant.

Completed applications are to be submitted to the Graduate Program Assistant, Malaika Ross, before travel. Forms can be submitted electronically via email and must include an employee ID number (if you have one).

If a travel grant is approved, the student must also receive travel authorization for any travel outside of the state or overnight.  This is done by the Grants Administrator of the student's faculty advisor.

Students arrange travel themselves and save all receipts and boarding passes for reimbursement. Students may also need a visa to travel outside the US.  Please allow extra time for visa processing. All receipts should be submitted to the research advisor's Grant Administratorfor reimbursement.  Once reimbursements are processed, the funds are added to a paycheck and deposited into a bank account on file.

Travel Grant Application Form