Faculty Recruiting Support CICS

Registration & Advising

Undergraduate Program Committee 2018-19

Tim Richards Undergraduate Program Director (UPD)
BDIC Coordinator
Gordon Anderson Chief Undergraduate Advisor (CUA)
Community College Outreach
Ben Marlin (fall)
Joydeep Biswas (fall/spring)
Honors Program Director (HPD)
Bill Verts Peer Advising Manager, ACE
Marc Liberatore CS Major Advising (Sophomores)
Neena Thota CS Major Advising (Freshmen)
Greg Boisseau CICS Academic Advisor (ExploratoryTrack)
Michelle Trim Informatics Program
Darlene Fahey Undergraduate Program Manager (UPM)

Undergraduate Advising Center (ACE)

Do you need to talk with someone about courses, becoming a major, the minor, how to get an override? ACE is the Place!

ACE Hours


College Advising 

Staff in the CICS Academic Dean's Office are available to assist you with general academic policies and procedures including late adds, withdrawals, repeat options, and academic discipline, or if there is a dean's hold on your SPIRE account.  For assistance, please call (413) 545-4822.  The Office of the Academic Dean is in the LGRC Lowrise, Room A243. The Academic Dean can also be reached by emailing studentdean@cics.umass.edu. 

 The Academic Advisor for Exploratory Track students, Greg Boisseau, is in the Office of the Academic Dean. (Additional information on Exploratory Track advising below.)

College Advising Forms 


Check SPIRE to see who has been assigned as your CS Advisor. Sometimes it is necessary to reassign advisors for some students, for various reasons, so check to be sure.  If you are a Junior or Senior, you will have a CS Advisor to meet with for advising. For Sophomores and Freshmen, you have been assigned to either Marc Liberatore or Neena Thota, based on your last name. You may contact your advisor any time during the semester to ask for help and advice, but there is a set Advising Period at the beginning of each registration period.


The Academic Advisor for students in the Computing and Informatics Exploratory Track is Greg Boisseau.  He is in the Office of the Academic Dean, located in Room A243 of the LGRC Lowrise.   The office is open Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

As an Exploratory Track student, you have access to one-on-one advising that is designed to assist with course selection, major exploration, requirements, and campus resources.  Greg is available by appointment. CICS Exploratory Track students can make an appointment online with Greg. Students can also call 413-545-4822.


CS has a designated Advising Period for the next term's registration. Your CS Advisor will be available during the Advising Period and will make every effort to meet students before their SPIRE registration appointment time. Your advisor should contact you with available meeting times before registration opens.  If needed, email your advisor.


Is Your RAC Holding You Back?

If you are a CS primary major, a registration hold (called a "RAC hold") prevents you from registering until you get advising and have the hold released.  You cannot register for courses until your RAC hold is released (Click below to find out how). If you cannot register, then obviously the courses you wish to take may fill up.

Other Registration Holds for CS 

We may also use Advising Holds which prevent enrollment for a variety of reasons, including overdue BA Four Course Concentration Proposals and Graduating Seniors with Expected Grad Dates who will finish before the next semester as well as other reasons if necessary.  Advising Holds are placed on secondary CS majors.

Advising for Fall 2019 Registration