Faculty Recruiting Make a Gift

The CICS Careers website has moved to cics.umass.edu/careers.

Visit our new site to find insights that will help you discover, explore, and pursue your career. 

Guidelines for International Students

If you are on an F-1 student visa, you must fulfill certain requirements in order to gain practical training through either an internship or co-op so that you don't violate the terms of your visa.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is off-campus work experience (training) that is an integral part of an established curriculum. In practical terms, this means an opportunity must be required by the curriculum, or if not required, the student must receive credit for the training.

Because the UMass College of Information and Computer Sciences does not require practical work experience in order to graduate, international CICS students MUST register for a 1 credit independent study course in order to complete either an internship or co-op experience.


How Do I Know if I am Eligible to Apply for CPT?

To be eligible for CPT, you must:

  • Be in lawful F-1 status
  • Have been enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year (i.e. two full, consecutive semesters before applying for CPT), and be in good academic standing
  • Have a job offer
  • The position must be relevant to your field of study
  • Not be enrolled in an intensive English language training program
  • Have UMass approved health insurance

* Note: students are NOT ELIGIBLE for CPT once you have completed all degree requirements. Read more about Optional Practical Training (OPT).


The Application Process

CS Graduate Students

Undergraduate CS Majors


Still Have Questions?

View IPO resources for international students. Or schedule an appointment with an IPO advisor (IPO Website).