College Advising Forms

Academic Forms

Here are links to frequently used online forms for students in the College of Information and Computer Sciences. If you are not sure which form is the appropriate one for your request, please read the descriptions below to help you choose the correct one.

Our goal is to respond to requests within 5 business days. At certain times of the year however, it could take longer. Your patience is appreciated.


Academic Plan Form

You will need to bring a completed copy of the Academic Plan Form when you meet with the Academic Dean for any of the following reasons: 

1. You have received a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal (SAPA) from Financial Aid .


2. You have been notified by the Registrar's Office that you need one or more additional semester(s) in order to meet graduation requirements.


3. You are returning from suspension or dismissal and need to work out a plan for the upcoming semester.

Before meeting with the Academic Dean regarding regarding any of the above matters you should complete this form with the help of your academic advisor. Also bring a letter with your name, Spire ID number, UMASS email address, and an explanation of the extenuating circumstances that led to the current academic standing and the plan for moving forward.

Bring the completed Academic Plan Form when you meet with the Academic Dean.


Credit Overload Petition

During Fall or Spring semesters, students in the Computer Sciences Major (BS or BA) can register for 19 credits without requesting a credit overload.  Students in the Computing and Informatics Exploratory Track can register for 18 credits. Use the Credit Overload Petition form to request an increase in your credit limit. Please note: there is a separate form to request a credit overload for summer/winter courses.

First-year students who do not yet have an established grade point average with us should plan to file their Overload Petition after their first-semester grades have been submitted.

Once a credit overload is requested, it may take 5 (working) days to process (during add/drop it may take longer than 5 days, so plan accordingly). You will receive an email explaining if the credit overload was approved or not approved. If approved it is up to you to add the course. It is in your best interest to request a credit overload as early as possible. If you wait until the end of add/drop, your request may not be processed in time for you to add credits via SPIRE. Also, addtional credits can not be process to your SPIRE account until all students have had the opportunity to register, late July for the Fall and late January for the Spring.

As a general rule, credit overloads will not be granted to students whose GPA is below 3.0 or if there is an incomplete (INC) grade from a previous semester.

You are responsible to discuss your academic requirements with your advisor and to check your requirements on SPIRE.

Requests for credit overload are evaluated on:

Number of credits requested

Past number of credits taken

Composition of classes

Overall GPA and most recent semester's GPA

Year of graduation

Requests for credit overload will not be reviewed if incomplete -- all *-ed fields must be filled in.

Some Gen Ed courses have increased from 3 to 4 credits. Be sure you provide the correct number of credits for each of your Gen Ed courses so that the total number of credits you are requesting is accurate.


Late Withdrawal Petition

Following add/drop and until the mid semester date, you can withdraw from any course with a "W" by using the University's Course Change Request form. A "W" will appear on your transcript. You should get your instructor's signature to let him or her know you are withdrawing from the course, then take the signed form to the Registrar's office in 213 Whitmore.

After the mid-semester date, students must submit a Late Withdrawal Petition in order to appeal to withdraw from a course. There must be extenuating circumstances to justify your request, e.g. illness, family emergency, etc.  Students must provide verification of circumstances. A low grade in a course is NOT a reason to request a late withdrawal.

The CICS Advising Committee will review all requests for late withdrawals and will notify the student of the final decision.


Course Repeat Petition

The University Academic Regulations specify that a course for which a grade of C-,D+, D or F was earned may be repeated one time without permission. (No course for which a grade of C or higher was earned may be repeated.) A course may be repeated a second time, for a total of three times, only with prior permission of the academic dean of the school or college in which the student is enrolled. Under no circumstances may a student take a course more than three times. All enrollments and all grades will appear on the transcript, but the last grade will be calculated in the GPA. Repeating a UMass Amherst course at another of the Five Colleges, at another campus of the University of Massachusetts, or at any other institution will not result in grade substitution.

Students seeking permission to take a course for the third time must submit a Course Repeat Petition. There must be extenuating circumstances to justify your request, e.g. illness, family emergency, etc.  Students must provide verification of circumstances. Poor performance in two previous attempts at a course will generally NOT be sufficient justification for a third attempt. The fact that a course is required for a major or minor requirement will generally NOT be sufficient justification for a third attempt.

The CICS Advising Committee will review all requests for course repetitions and will notify the student of the final decision.

NOTE: Repeating a course can have negative consequences. For example, if a passing grade of C-, D+ or D was received in the first enrollment, but a failing grade is received when the course is repeated, no credit would be earned for either attempt. Repeating a previously passed course may also have an effect on financial aid eligibility. Students considering repeating previously passed courses should consult their academic advisors and Financial Aid staff.